Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Week 5

Dear everyone I love,
 
First off, I'd like to start off by congratulating my dad on obtaining one of the HARDEST and MOST REWARDING jobs possible:  Seminary Teacher!  For those of you who are not familiar with seminary or don't know what it is, seminary is a class over scriptures that we members of our church in High School attend.  In Utah and parts of Arizona where there are tons of Mormons, it is taught by paid teachers and it is easily worked into the High School schedule during the day.  However, here in Texas, we do not have that priviledge.  To be able to go to seminary, the teacher AND the high school students must be at a small church building to learn from the Bible and/or Book of Mormon every school day at 6 in the morning BEFORE school starts.  It is NOT an easy thing to attend or teach seminary, but my dad is one of the most capable people that I know for this task.  Good luck Dad!  Hope you love reading the Old Testament this year!
 
Anyway, now about me!  Well, class has been going GREAT and I'm learning a ton of Spanish and Scripture each day.  I've especially gotten pretty good at saying spanish prayers outloud.  Now, you may be wondering, "He shouldn't be boasting like that, should he?"  Well, usually I wouldn't, but I only said that to point out the fact that for the past 2 weeks I everybody in the entire class has had ME say the opening prayer everytime, probably just to frustrate me.  One time I said it about 7 times in a row (we have class twice a day).  Now, here in Provo, it's a much different culture than most people are used to (including me).  But one of the things I like is a saying that they have:  "everytime you say a prayer your future wife gets hotter!"  (I think they just say that to get volunteers to say the prayer.)  But if that IS true, then if you see any girl that has been getting significantly attractive and look about as pretty as my sister, Kamille does, then that just might be my future wife.  Haha!
 
Anyway, I've also been loving my gym time here, but unfortunately, ever since it's gotten a little hotter, most of the people went inside instead of playing sand volleyball outside (Utah people think 80 degree dry weather is hot).  Unfortunately, with that, the quality of vball games has been going down.  I tried to play a game yesterday with a bunch of guys and two girls.  However, the guys were so girl-deprived that they focused on flirting with the girls using 2 methods: 1. Acting like idiots.  And 2. Acting like SUPER idiots.  Punting the volleyball and stuff.  Grrr.  Hopefully a real competition is on next time.
 
I'd like to mention how gratefull I am for my parents and the lessons they taught me while I was in High School.  One of them is to not be overly sarcastic ALL THE TIME.  At the time I didn't understand, but I know a couple Elders who, through there sarcasm, have caused some contention or bad feelings.  Pretty sad, because I HATE drama more than anything (unless it's in theatre.)  The next one is how to iron shirts.  It turns out that my "non-iron shirts" are the worst non-iron shirts of all time.....  Sooooooooo, I have to IRON them!  At least I know how to, though!
 
Anyway, I'm running out of time, but I'd like to close with a couple of spiritual thoughts that I got from a recorded devotional by apostle Jeffrey R. Holland.  We missionaries are just about 19 to 21 years old.  We're not scholars or very learned or biblical experts.  So, why and how can WE teach people about the Lord's message?  Holland quoted D & C 42:14-17 "If ye recieve not the spirit, ye shall not teach."  And that's a COMMANDMENT he said.  Without the Holy Ghost guiding us to teach the truth, we cannot and will not teach with effectiveness.  Because the spirit of God knoweth all things and will not lie.  Not to anyone.
 
I've got to go, but I know that this work is of the Lord, even Jesus Christ.  I'm having a blast here, and I hope that all of you are learning while I'm gone too!  Love you!
 
Love
 
Elder Hutchinson
 
ps Luke 15:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment