Sunday, October 16, 2011

October 16, 2011

SANTIFICARÁS LAS ¿QUÉ?

Dear Everyone that I love,

This week we´ve been seeing some more success finally!!  We got 3 people to attend church!  Now, you may be wondering, "Wait, you´re in Mexico. You´re supposed to be baptising every single week, and you´re excited about getting a few people to come to church with you?"  Yes.  And let me explain why.

Here in Mexico, there is pretty much a party every single day of the year.  Those parties happen to be THE BIGGEST on Sundays for some reason.  As missionaries, we teach how important it is to keep the 10 Commandments. The fourth one is this "Thou shalt remember the Sabbath day, to keep it Holy."  Ok, so in this very Christian country and community, you´d think that they would know that that means to attend church on Sunday, right?  Well.....  The thing is that I have discovered that most of they "modernized" Bibles say that the 4th commandment is something else.  This is not a joke.  It says "Sanctificarás las fiestas."  Which means "Thou shalt sanctify the parties."  WHAT??  Haha!  So you can imagine why they think partying is so important.

Unfortunatley, our golden investigators, Meli, Amparo, Jesús, and Emiliana, weren´t able to attend church this week (oh, don´t worry, Elder Monroe and I have a few things up our sleeves to see that they do progress this next week.)  However, we did get to see general conference this week (when the Prophet and the 12 Apostles speak to the church, worldwide via sattelite.)  I just loved attempting to understand the Spanish translater, but I did get the gist of the messages.  Many of these general authorities gave powerful testimonies about the Bible, the Book of Mormon, Jesus Christ, and many other things.  Also, the Prophet Thomas S. Monson (ironically enough) spoke on the 10 commandments.  "As it says, these are the 10 commandments, and not the 10 ´creative suggestions´"  We got a kick out of that.

Honestly, I am really loving it out here.  I learn so much about the culture, language, and about humillity each day.  Each time I see a person recieving our message and following through with committments like Sofia, her daughter, and Manuel (who attended church), I can see more light come into their life and their eyes.  I know that the Lord has me doing this for this very reason.

Honestly, we were cut short of internet today, and we have to go do our shopping, but I love yáll!  Thank you for all of your emails, stories, and abundant sports updates (especially for the recent college football rankings Jeffrey.)  Hope everyone is doing well, and I hope my family get´s my package soon!  Love yáll!

Love

Elder Christian Hutchinson

No comments:

Post a Comment